Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Alkali Creek

Tuesday we got off to a late start because I forgot to run billing before we left. I think right around 1pm we took off for Tenmile creek and the Snake river in Keystone. As we were passing through Wolcott, Tanner mentioned something about this obscure creek that rarely flows and 50cfs is cranking. It is short and gets pretty steep at its best. On a side note, this creek runs right under about 5 zip lines. Some of them are huge. It's kinda crazy. Anyway, Alkali Creek was what we were looking at apparently.

Barely a boat's width wide it starts off winding through the valley towards the canyon's constriction. We knew it was steep in there because you are quite a bit higher than the Eagle river and you can practically see the Eagle river take-out and the put-in from the same vantage point. Quickly the tempo picks up and we saw the first horizon line, I had no idea what we were in for so I hoped out and scouted and yelled up to Tan man that it's all good.



The next drop was weird looking and I thought I would be slammed into the wall. That said, I should have realized the water really wasn't powerful enough to do much. Tanner showed me how and I followed along.


A couple of more minor obstacles and we were at the crux. A fun quadruple drops that really made the run worth it.



A couple of more and we were out on the Eagle.





No comments: